Old 19-07-2014, 03:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Lawn Aerator

On Fri, 18 Jul 2014 21:26:56 -0700, "David E. Ross"
wrote:

Below 1-2 inches, it's hard-packed clay in this particular spot. This was just an idea. Water won't penetrate it. Trying to avoid roto-tilling. It's level and rolling a 200 pound barrel on a rock-hard surface like this is pretty easy. I have rolled a 55 gal drum of liquid on the same place -- that's where I got the idea.

I suggest you apply a thin layer of gypsum over the area and dampen it.
Then, over the next 2-3 weeks, slowly rinse it into the soil. This
will start to break up the clay so that however you aerate it, you will
get good results.

Yes, I am a big fan of gypsum. No, I do not have any direct investment
in any company that mines, processes, or sells gypsum.

+1 on using gypsum. Use a coring aerator that removes the 2" plugs.
Scatter the gypsum and water the area. The gypsum helps break down the
clay so water can penetrate the soil - in my experience. Coring also
allows plenty of oxygen into the soil. Even a good time to over seed
with grass seed. Leave the plug cores on the ground and they
eventually break down in a week or so.