Old 01-03-2003, 09:15 AM
gregpresley

Default Hiding a chain link fence in Illinois

If evergreen ivy (probably the cultivar named baltic) is hardy in your area,
it could eventually cover the entire chain link fence with year-round
greenery. It might suffer some winter-burning in your area though, so check
with local gardeners. You could also plant a narrow hedge plant, like
arborvitae very close to the fence line. The foliage will grow right through
the links and disguise it completely. If your neighbor doesn't like them ,
he can always prune them right up to the chain links. It won't harm the
plants.
"simy1" wrote in message
om...
wrote in message

. ..
My wife and I live in northern Illinois and our neighbor behind us has
a chain link fence. It's about 50 feet long and we would like to
plant something along the fence line to hide it. Unfortunately, we
know absolutely nothing about plants or gardening.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about what we can do?

Thanks in advance!

If he lets you, some Concord vines or hardy kiwi vines will cover that
thing quickly.