Old 20-07-2014, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Tiny "old" potatoes

On Sun, 20 Jul 2014 01:21:35 -0700, Todd wrote:

On 07/19/2014 03:28 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
I bought some of those delicious tiny potatoes. Put them in veg bin along with other potatoes -- small red. Went to nuke tinies today. SPROUTING! If they're babies, why are they prematurely geriatric. And if they're not babies, how is size controlled? Is it a function of species? 1 week seems rather soon to start sprouting. Dinner companion said it's because they are so long in transit.

Any experience out there?

HB

Hi Higgs,

I do believe your dinner companion was correct.

Does this help?

http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-...they-good.html

"Potato sprouts often appear when you store potatoes for a
long time ... Research has suggested that if the main part
of the potato is still firm, then it has most of its
nutrients intact and can be eaten after removing the
sprouted part. However, if the potato is shrunken and
wrinkled, it should not be eaten.

I always loved to see them sprout. Means they truly were organic.

Not true, so-called organic potatoes sprout just as readily. Anyway
there is no such thing as organic potatoes... potatoes are attacked by
so many soil borne diseases that they must be chemically treated if
there is to be a crop. Actually there is no such thing as organic
produce unless grown in a greenhouse held under clean room laboratory
conditions.