Old 20-07-2014, 04:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Lawn Aerator

On Sun, 20 Jul 2014 09:22:21 -0400, HomeGuy
Home@guy.com wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote:

Lawn aeration is a crock.

Definitely beneficial for healthy lawn in our locale.

Stupid move, Tony. You're deluding yourself.

In areas that get sub-freezing in winter (like most of Canada) the many
cycles of frost heaving (freeze-thaw) in winter does a great job of
breaking up residential soil.

Think about it.

Just look what it does to our roads, and imagine what is going on in the
soil.

Poor analogy.

Frost heaving may break up pavement but does nothing to improve
compacted soil, in fact when it finally dries it will be more
compacted. In spring as soon as soil is friable is the best time to
till/aerate before soil dries. Garden soil is not pavement.