Old 21-07-2014, 12:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dee Dee is offline

Default Transplanting butterfly weed

zxcvbob wrote in
:

I have read that A. tuberosa is hard to transplant; I'm wondering
if that might just be the seedlings. Went to wildflowers.org and
it says they are best propagated by root cuttings. They take
several years to bloom from seed, so I know these plants have been
there for a while and one or two mowings won't kill them. Just
wonder if anyone has tried transplanting them from the wild, or
sliced one up into root cuttings?

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought root cuttings would be a good
idea because of their taproot.

I purchased A. tuberosa seeds in a packet at the store a few years ago.
I planted them in seedling containers, waited til they came up and grew
for a month or so, then planted them (gently, so as not to disturb the
taproot) in the garden. They grew and established the first year and
bloomed the second year. Overall the process was extremely easy.

Dee