Old 21-07-2014, 04:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Tiny "old" potatoes

Higgs Boson said:
I bought some of those delicious tiny potatoes. Put them in veg bin along
with other potatoes --small red. Went to nuke tinies today. SPROUTING!
If they're babies, why are they prematurely geriatric. And if they're not
babies, how is size controlled? Is it a function of species? 1 week seems
rather soon to start sprouting. Dinner companion said it's because they are
so long in transit.

Sometimes the tiny gourmet potatoes are varieties selected for small size,
and will never form enormous spuds, and sometimes they are varieties that
can grow big that are harvested small, before the vines die back (what
gardeners would call new potatoes which would definitely have a limited
shelf life). But sometimes they are a way for potato growers to make good
money on potatoes that would once upon a time be put with the culls --
potatoes deemed too damaged or too small to ship to market.

Potatoes that sprout in your house have may been in the pipeline too long,
or may have been exposed to temperatures lower or higher than ideal during
shipment or in the store. (Temperature extremes can trigger sprouting.)

My step-grandpop the huskster used to buy potatoes that had been exposed
to bad conditions in transit at the wholesale market (and which were sold as
damaged goods) then sell them from a truck as home grown. As there is no
justice, my dear, sweet grandma died young, and the old bast^h^h^h man
lived to a ripe old age.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."