Old 22-07-2014, 02:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Drew Lawson[_2_] Drew Lawson[_2_] is offline

Default Plants that reseed

In article
mkr5000 writes:

Take coneflower for instance.

[snip]

I've always been confused a bit about the process -- certainly
seeds that fall to the ground in fall become useless because of
the snow?,

Can't say about coneflower. I'm in zone 6 (western Ohio), and
zinnia seeds dropped on the ground do not become useless, though
birds probably lower their numbers as the winter goes on. After 2
years of terrible results with inside starting, combined with robust
volunteers, I gave up on starting the zinnias in pots. I gathered
seed heads, dried and separated (as beat as I cound). Then scattered
the seeds around last frost. I think I had about a quart of seed
& chaff.

But I still have a dozen or so zinnias in a section that I did not
seed.

I also have some cosmos volunteers this year.

I gave up on trying to start alyssum years ago. I leave the dried
plant as shelter (and a marker) and wait in the spring, then thin
and transplant. I take a similar approach to dahlburg daisy.

so it's really a matter of what seeds remain intact and
dry enough to germinate in the Spring, if left on the plant? I
guess what I'm trying to ask is that Spring planting beats Fall
planting any day for areas that have cold winters? or not?

My take, with slightly milder winters, is that fall/spring doesn't
matter if you are planting the seeds. If they are on the surface,
then fall scattering gives critters (or Paleo hunter/gatherers)
longer to gather and eat them.

While weeding the garden a couple days ago, I found that last year's
tomato patch has tomatoes coming up. Better late than never, I
suppose. (Still pulled them out.)

--
Drew Lawson What would Brian Boitano do?