Old 22-07-2014, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Mole

On 22/07/2014 10:44, philgurr wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in message
I only recently got one and when it was wombling around 100 yards down the garden it
didn't really matter. Now it's right up by the house interfering with my planting it
does matter.
I can get a mole trap easily but is there any way to put them off? If not, do I dig
down under the molehills to set the trap or what?
I'd prefer not to kill it if possible.

The old-fashioned way was to open up the run, put in a sprig of holly
and then close the run up again. Don't know how effective it is.

Ardmhor

That's a variation of the old thing of finding the end of the run then
inserting black thorn spines pointing towards the tunnel.
The idea being that the mole would stick itself on one or more of the
thorns and being haemophiliac it would not stop bleeding.
Also you could open the run and insert lumps of carbide, close the hole,
and the carbide would give of gas once they became damp.
A hosepipe attached to the car exhaust pipe and run into the mole run
and with the engine running that would gas the moles.
Worms pot into a jar with some strychnine mixed into the soil, left for
24 hours and then put into the run to poison the moles.
Then there are a variety of traps and snares.
Children's "Windmills" stuck into the ground around the runs would set
up vibrations that would drive the mole away.
Some forms of allium are supposed to repel moles.
If you can see them working then some fast spade action and you might
dig them out.
or you could just get someone in to get rid of them