Old 22-07-2014, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mole

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 02:08:26 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

do I dig down under the molehills to set the trap or what?
I'd prefer not to kill it if possible.

I'm afraid your only viable option is to destroy it. There are no non-
lethal ways that work, as anyone who has dealt with a serious mole
problem will tell you. It's a shame in that under mature plantings the
tunnels serve to aerate the soil, and the moles don't otherwise do any
harm; but they can dig up or expose roots on new plantings which will
cause them to fail. And of course, they will ruin any lawn.

You have to find the galleries between the mole hills, under the hills
themselves the tunnels are just for excavation. Also it's very important
that the traps are steel (not brass, which they sell a lot now) and have
no human scent. Common practice is to bury them for a couple of weeks
and then wear gloves.

-E

Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and kill it then. I was hoping not
to.
I can get a steel mole trap locally and will follow your advice about the
scent.
Thanks, Emery.

Tina