Old 23-07-2014, 06:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Yippee!

On 2014-07-22 21:42:32 +0000, rbel said:

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 15:04:11 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 22/07/2014 14:39, Sacha wrote:
Echium piniana seems to be setting seed nicely.

Doesn't that mean that half of Devon will be covered in Echium seed?!

If only! I have tried three times to get some to grow here (a bit
east of Sacha and nearer the coast) but to no avail. In retrospect I
think I have tried too hard with them (two lots of seed and some
plants from Ray Brown at Plantworld). I understand now that they
appreciate neglect and poor, stoney soil rather than tlc.

One of our E.piniana put itself right on the edge of a low stone wall.
It must have been clinging on by its toenails. Those we've seen growing
wild in Tresco are often beside tracks beside the sea, growing in what
is virtually sand.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com