Old 23-07-2014, 05:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Plants that reseed

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 07:25:37 -0700 (PDT), mkr5000
wrote:

On Tuesday, July 22, 2014 11:19:33 AM UTC-4, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
mkr5000 said:

In the zone 5 when a plant goes to seed in late summer or fall I need to

know how best to get more plants to germinate from the seed.

Depends. Some seeds won't germinate without experiencing winter

conditions. So you would have to recreate those conditions with any

seed you gather (a process called stratification).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratification_(botany)

Take coneflower for instance.

Echinacea doesn't need stratification, seeds need darkness and germination

temperature range is 70-75 F.

Rudbeckia needs some statification, then light and temprature of 70-75 F.

So you would surface sow these onto moist potting soil and refridgerate

for two weeks (or put the seeds into a bag with a source of moisture for

the same amoung to time, then surface sow).

Best reference I know of for raising flowers from seed:

/From Seed to Bloom/ by Eileen Powell.

http://www.amazon.com/From-Seed-To-B.../dp/0882662597

--

Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Thanks Pat -- now I get it.

Want to plant some coneflower, black eyed susan, cleome and some queen annes lace (native) for starters.

For seeds that don't need stratification (like coneflower) where is best place to store the seeds I gather? I've read both in a ziploc bag in refrig or a cool dark place in basement.

Basement idea sounds better to me. ?

Basements can be dank and contain seed eating insects and rodents,
fridge is safer. However all those seeds can be planted late fall...
deer and rabbits wont eat susans and lace but they will eat cones.