Old 25-07-2014, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Mulberry

On 25/07/2014 20:29, Pam Moore wrote:

Who has a mulberry tree? I think Sacha does.

I don't although I know where a couple are. Unfortunately all the
berries on them are pre sold to a local Michelin starred restaurant.

I have one in a pot, about 3 feet high, aobut 10 years old.

These are medium gnarled tree sized and over a century old. I'd say from
memory about 20' tall but next time I am there I will check.

I expect it would reach fruiting size faster planted in the ground.

3 years ago it had 3 fruit. I put it in a bigger pot, no fruit the
last 2 years. This year it has at least 8. I hope the birds don't get
them. I love mulberries. When I could drive I used to go round to
gardens which I knew had mulberries at ripe-fruit time but can't do
that now and the 2 I knew of in my town have gone, sadly.

A college at my university had an incredibly old mulberry tree the size
you would normally associate with a full grown horse chestnut. The fruit
unfit for eating made wonderful hand thrown paint balls too.

Regards,
Martin Brown