Old 25-07-2014, 11:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mike Spencer Mike Spencer is offline

Default Girdled tomato stems

Derald writes:

The damage you describe occurs more frequently than one might
think. Cutworms also girdle branches/limbs and eat "channels" into
fruit, especially that touching or very near to the ground. Cutworm
damage to fruit often is mistaken for armyworm damage. Based on the
info you offer, "cutworm" is my best guess, too.

Well, that's new to me. But I'll go looking for cutworms, try the
collars. We had one plant so attacked last year, 6 this year.

Hornworms can leave the same kind of damage but it would likely be
more extensive than you describe and they're pretty easy to spot.

Yes.

Cutworms spend their days curled up snoozing just under the
surface, in the upper 3/4-inch...

I'll look there.

Tnx,
--