Old 27-07-2014, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Drywall scraps

Terry Coombs wrote:
We're building a house , and I find myself with small pieces left
over . Are these any good as a soil amendment ? Gypsum iis the main
ingredient , and I don't know if it acidic or basic . I don't really
have any other way to dispose of this stuff , if I can add it to my
compost heap that'd be a double plus .

Gypsum is calcium sulphate and is close to neutral acidity. It will not
alter soil pH.

It would only be of value if your soil would benefit from it. It is often
used to break up clay and it does work but it takes time and quite a bit to
do so.

The problem with plasterboard is that it is in chunks where agricultural
gypsum is a fine powder. Assuming there is enough to do any good the board
will take very much longer to work (if at all) as gypsum isn't very soluble
and needs to be finely divided to get into the soil. This is exactly the
same problem as those with marble chips wanting to raise pH, it's too
coarse.

--
David

A better world requires a daily struggle
against those who would mislead us.