Old 27-07-2014, 12:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek[_2_] Steve Peek[_2_] is offline

Default Drywall scraps

On Saturday, July 26, 2014 4:54:17 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
Derald wrote:

"Terry Coombs" wrote:

We're building a house , and I find myself with small pieces left

over . Are these any good as a soil amendment ? Gypsum iis the main

ingredient , and I don't know if it acidic or basic . I don't really

have any other way to dispose of this stuff , if I can add it to my

compost heap that'd be a double plus .

Gypsum is often used to add calcium without adversely affecting pH.

Whether that's what it does, I dunno. It also is added to clay soils

in an attempt to "improve" its texture. Dunno whether that works,

either. Gypsum also is used to reduce the concentration of sodium in

certain soils. Dunno whether....

You may find these enlightening or confusing:

http://ag.arizona.edu/yavapai/anr/hort/byg/archive/gypsum.html

http://puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda%20chalker-scott/Horticultural%20Myths_files/Myths/Gypsum.pdf

To address your question directly:

I, personally, would eschew adding gypsum wallboard ("sheetrock")

because I don't know what other compounds or chemicals might be used

in its manufacture.

Well , looks like it goes to the landfill then ...though the addition to

clay soils is intriguing ... ours here is best described as clay and silt

with rocks .

--

Snag

Use it for mulch! then plow it in next spring. It really helps break down the clay plus adds calcium to help prevent blossom end rot in tomatoes.