Old 27-07-2014, 04:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default Mulberry

On 26/07/2014 7:16 PM, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 12:53:50 +1000, Fran Farmer
wrote:

On 26/07/2014 5:29 AM, Pam Moore wrote:
Who has a mulberry tree? I think Sacha does.
I have one in a pot, about 3 feet high, aobut 10 years old.
3 years ago it had 3 fruit. I put it in a bigger pot, no fruit the
last 2 years. This year it has at least 8. I hope the birds don't get
them. I love mulberries. When I could drive I used to go round to
gardens which I knew had mulberries at ripe-fruit time but can't do
that now and the 2 I knew of in my town have gone, sadly.

I have a mulberry. It's about 15 ft tall and I have to fight the birds
to get any fruit. I've read that they can be propagated from winter
cuttings and have been wondering how to do that.

http://mulberrytrees.co.uk/propagation/ Alternatively, use
'truncheons', i.e. substantial twigs or small branches.
This, from http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=642 : "Morus roots
well from larger pieces of wood up to 10cm (4in) thick. In winter,
plant two- to four-year-old ‘truncheons’ straight into the ground in
their permanent positions".

Thank you for those links. I'll take a big cutting and put it in the
ground and see if i can get it to take.