Old 27-07-2014, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_3_] Pam Moore[_3_] is offline

Default Very OT- Pitures from WW2 and now

On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 09:26:53 +0100, Sacha

On 2014-07-27 07:19:39 +0000, Chris Hogg said:

On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 23:34:58 +0100, Sacha

On 2014-07-26 14:12:41 +0000, Pam Moore said:

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 23:04:02 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Had this link sent to me by a friend in the USA and thought some here might
like to see it.
You wipe your cursor across the photo from left to right to see how the
scene looks today and wipe it back again.

http://interactive.guim.co.uk/embed/....html?ww2-dday

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Thank you Bob. Fascinating.
How much has changed but a lotis still the same. What amazed me was
the inclusion of Moreton-in-Marsh among war photos.

Surprised me too, Pam. I'd have thought it too far from the coast to be
doing much but I suppose everywhere prepared for possible invasion. It
was a very frightening time, waiting for the unknown to happen.

IIRC virtually the whole of southern England was turned into a
military camp in the months before D-Day. Materiel was stockpiled
everywhere, tanks, guns, trucks, ammunition, troops, not in
anticipation of England possibly being invaded, but in preparation for
the invasion of mainland Europe.

The fourth image, of Royal Marine Commandos coming ashore at
Saint-Aubin-sur-Mer, is a well-known picture. I always think the chap
in the foreground, with the glasses, looks like Charles Hawtrey, of
'Carry On' films fame. Not a 'carry on' on June 6th, though.

I agree about the Charles Hawtrey image! It's a very famous photo, of
course and I have an idea he was interviewed recently during the
commemorative celebrations. As to the south of England, I'm sure you
must be correct. I know it's always said that one could cross Dartmouth
harbour without getting the feet wet, it was so crowded with ships.

To me Charles Hawtrey was Norman Bones of Norman and Henry Bones, also
starring Patricia Hayes. Oh how I looked froward to hte next episode!