Old 27-07-2014, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Most nutritious potatoes?

Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 11:11:05 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

Recently read that potatoes with "yellow" flesh are more nutritious.
At Farmers
Market yesterday, asked potato guy. He agreed, but added that the
MOST nutritious (can't remember what is the good stuff) were the
purple fleshed ones.

Is this similar to Nature's continuum in leafy vegs? The darker the
better?

(I bought a few just to see if I would get turned off by purple
potato flesh. Not yet eaten. Stay tuned g).

HB

Regardless the color if you pare away the skins essentially all the
nutrition remaining is starch. And since other than starch potato
nutrition is for the most part in the skin flesh color is meaningless.

Seems about right. Some definition of 'nutritious' would also be helpful.
Is the one with the most vitamins and minerals, most starch or lowest GI
the most nutritious?

--
David

A better world requires a daily struggle
against those who would mislead us.