Old 28-07-2014, 01:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Most nutritious potatoes?

On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 11:45:43 +1000, Fran Farmer
wrote:

On 28/07/2014 4:11 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Recently read that potatoes with "yellow" flesh are more nutritious. At Farmers
Market yesterday, asked potato guy. He agreed, but added that the MOST nutritious (can't remember what is the good stuff) were the purple fleshed ones.

I've never heard that before.

Is this similar to Nature's continuum in leafy vegs? The darker the better?

(I bought a few just to see if I would get turned off by purple potato flesh. Not yet eaten. Stay tuned g).

Of the purple spuds, the only ones I've grown are Purple Congo. They
are superb in terms of floury delicousness. They are best IMO served if
cooked by steaming and then serving up with just butter.

Do Pringles count? Did you know that the US consumes most spuds as
dehys... ALL fast food fries and MOST restaurant fries, and ALL
stupidmarket frozen fries are dehys, extruded. Most restaurant mashed
are dehys, as are most mashed eaten at home... and now there are
frozen mashed, becoming very popular in their many flavors, also
dehys.

My favorite potato is red bliss, perfect for salads, stews/soups, and
roasted (no need to pare but remove eyes). For baked in jackets only
russets will do... never eat restaurant baked, they don't scrub them.
I don't care for Yukon gold, they leave a sweet after taste. If I had
to choose a favorite way to cook potatoes it's roasted; pare, slice in
wedges, coat with vegetable oil, season with s n'p, pan roast at 375ºF
for about an hour or until crisp and golden brown.
http://i58.tinypic.com/2cmodxt.jpg
If watching your weight this is dangerous as you won't be able to stop
eating:
http://www.ruths-kitchen.com/recipes...potatonik.html