Old 28-07-2014, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
AL_n AL_n is offline

Default Good types of clover for lawns?

"AL_n" wrote in
:

Hello comrades,

I'm not a lawn expert, but I've noticed that some parts of my lawn
resist drying out during summer droughts. These areas have a lot of
clover mixed in with the grass - so I assume the clover that is
beneficent factor. Is this because the clover leaves shield the
underlying soil and grass from the sun's rays? If so, I'd like to add
some extra clover to the areas of lawn that don't have any clover.
What is a good strain of clover for this purpose? I'd like to buy some
seed and just cast it over my lawn in the hope that some of it will
germinate and take root.

I've used something called Eco-Lawn seed in the past, which contains
something they call micro-clover. This clover just has leaves that are
about half the size of common clover. I don't know what the actual
strain is. If anyone knows, I'd be glad to know.

Many thanks,

Al

PS...
I'm thinking that the ideal clover for the above purpose would be one that
bears leaves close to the earth, so that after you mow the lawn, much of
the clover leaf remains uncut. Some of the clover on my lawn (possibly from
Eco-Lawn seed) had smaller and darker leaves than regular clover - and I've
never seen it produce any flowers...

Al