Old 30-07-2014, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Tomato Caterpillar

"Judith in England" wrote

I have noticed a few leaves being almost totally eaten - they look like a
cobweb with the majority of the leaf having been eaten.

When I looked closely I found a number of small caterpillars - about 1mm
2mm diameter - upto 1cm long.

Plain light green - with a yellowish light line down the body just above
legs.

I have grown tomatoes for years - and have never seen them before.

Any ideas please?

I have since found a bigger specimen: see photo of same

http://i58.tinypic.com/dg1lp4.jpg

There also seems like a "spider's web" being exuded by at least the smaller
ones.

It's, would you believe, the Tomato Moth (Lacanobia oleracea). :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.