Old 31-07-2014, 11:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Todd[_2_] Todd[_2_] is offline

Default when to pick eggplant?

On 07/31/2014 07:26 AM, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Todd said:

Right now my biggest one is six inches long and
three inches around. The others are about 3 to 4 inches
long and about an inch around. Is it time?

I'd say, pick that biggest one. If it shows any tan seeds,
pick the little ones, too. If not, let the small ones get bigger.

If they stop increasing in size, you've probably left them on
too long (for my taste).

If I squeeze them, will it hurt them?

Depends on how hard you squeeze them! If you press them
gently and they don't rebound, pick them right now (they
may be passing their peak).

I should add, I have large hands (and pretty big feet--my
latest purchase of running shoes was USA men's 11.5).
So my hand may wrap a little farther around an eggplant
than average.

Hi Pat,

I love the rebound test. Thank you!

-T