Old 02-08-2014, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Open your garden for Age UK Norfolk

"bert" wrote

Chris Hogg writes
bert wrote:

Age Uk are a commercial business much like SAGA making money out of
older people whilst pretending to be charitable

What makes you say that?

Experience
The Wikipedia entry describes Age UK as being
formed by a merger between Age Concern and Help The Aged, both
respected charities. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_UK

That's what they would have you believe. But they are a business run for
the benefit of themselves as opposed to shareholders.

I think I understand you point Bert. Some charities are now so big that they
appear to us normal folk as a big business and are run on the same lines,
their charitable works seem to pale into insignificance to their money
making.
Take the RHS, went to Wisley yesterday to get a specific plant they said on
their web site they sold (no we don't but we can order it for you!) but the
car park and overflow car park were full to bursting which must equate to a
huge amount of entrance charges or annual fees on just one day. Yet they
constantly ask for more money which begs the question where does it all go,
I suspect salaries and expenses.
The RNLI don't pay the sailors but their office staff, of which there are
thousands, have a lovely new office with seriously subsidised food yet some
Lifeboats have been told to buy their own equipment. Priorities seem a bit
awry. It's why I give my money to the actual Lifeboat Station, then they
keep it.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.