Old 03-08-2014, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Gus[_4_] Gus[_4_] is offline

Default one tomato plant not growing any tomatoes

"Gus" wrote in message
"songbird" wrote in message
Gus wrote:
I have 8 plants and 7 all have had a decent number of tomatoes, but
one
plant has not had any. It is the plant the has grown the best and
biggest and looks the healthiest. It's actually huge-- over 6 feet
tall, and filled out well. Has had lots of flowers, but not one
tomato.
It's in the same spot as I had one last year that produced many
tomatoes. I'm confused why this one plant is not growing any
tomatoes,
and it is the biggest and healthiest of the lot.

there are many possible reasons, but if the
plant is not in some way isolated from pollinators
or otherwise protected from the wind or the rain
then i would guess that it is a mutation that
affects self-pollination.

you could try to take pollen off another plant
and to hand pollinate a flower and see if that
works (using a small paint brush).

this year for us our cherry tomatoes are fairly
barren, the beefsteaks are doing fine. usually
we have more cherry tomatoes than we can eat.

songbird

This seems helpful. I do have Qtips... I didn't know there were male
and female flowers. In the past, I just planted plants and they grew
and produced on their own.

http://vegibee.com/index.php/hand-pollination

I'm more confused. All the flowers on the plants look the same. I don't
see any that look female like the article shows. Even on the other
plants that are producing they all have what appears to be a stamen
sticking out of the flower. The flowers all look the same.