Old 04-08-2014, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Climber for VERY dry location

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

On an unrelated matter, some time back you asked for suggestions for
exotic veg. I just came across this page.
http://www.jungleseeds.co.uk/content...ollection.html

You may have seen it, but if not maybe there is something of interest
for you.

Thanks again. It's interesting, but deceptive. I have grown
some of those, failed with others and know enough not to bother
with yet others. Here are some examples:

Acmella oleracea - "an extremely strong tingling or numbing
sensation"? Watch out! That's a sign of a neurotoxin and,
without further evidence, more than very occasional use might
be seriously harmful. The same applies to any plant grown for
its medicinal benefits.

I would be a bit chary of eating runner bean flowers without
further research.

Feijoa sellowiana - I didn't know that it wasn't self-fertile,
but I doubt that you would get much fruit, anyway. Mine is
flowering now - the flowers are edible and, unusually, sweet.

Asparagus pea - I have grown it, and it was far too high in
tannins. But my mother did, and it was OK. I suspect that
you need a culinary variety.

Oca - it doesn't grow brilliantly with me, as it doesn't
start growing tubers until short day-lengths, and dies at the
first hint of frost. Tedious to grow but very pleasant.

But MOST of them would be marginal even in a warm greenhouse,
because they need at least subtropical conditions.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.