Old 04-08-2014, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Climber for VERY dry location

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

Jeff Layman wrote:

Feijoa sellowiana - I didn't know that it wasn't self-fertile,
but I doubt that you would get much fruit, anyway. Mine is
flowering now - the flowers are edible and, unusually, sweet.

I grew this in Sussex and it flowered regularly. Then one year it
produced around a kilo of fruit. These had a rather strange flavour, but
did make some very interesting chutney. It never fruited again (only
once in a dozen years). I'm now growing another one in south Hampshire,
and will be interested to see if that ever sets fruit, although it's
still too young to flower at less than a metre high. It seems to depend
on the strain as to how self-fertile it is
(http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/feijoa.html).

Ah, interesting. Mine is less than a metre high, but in a pot,
and pruned to keep it within bounds.

Stick with it and eat your heart out Nick.....so many fruit....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmAVb1lpHB4

:-)

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.