Old 05-08-2014, 04:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek[_2_] Steve Peek[_2_] is offline

Default Next year

On Tuesday, August 5, 2014 1:06:28 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
The green beans get their own trellis or other support . I let them go

over onto the tomato cages because they were making the corn that was

supposed to support them fall over . This has adversely impacted the

sunlight to the tomatoes , and yields have suffered .

Several other things I'll do different next year ... like not grow corn .

Mine sucks , and the yield/area isn't that great . Lettuces and spinach

will be in the ground before the snow if any melts , I'm tired of it

bolting as soon as it starts to produce . I pick lettuce , spinach , red

beet , bok choy as soon as the leaves are big enough to make a salad . Too

bad it all bolts before the tomatoes are ripe . Potatoes are still on

trial , we'll need to see what the yield is .

Right now , the list for next year is topped by strawberries worked hard

to get them established ! green beans Kentucky Wonder , I'm letting some

seed tomatoes variety not decided green onions we love 'em and a few

varieties of squash , including summer , zukes , acorn , and pumpkins .

--

Snag

Blue Agave Rocks

Try several varieties of tomatoes, this year I have several slicers, two paste and a couple of cherry tomatoes. I try to get at least one modern disease resistant tomato in the slicers. The paste tomatoes generally fruit at once so there are a lot for canning at one time (I can the slicers too when there is an abundance). You might also look at a variety called "Longkeeper". If I start these mid-summer I'll have tomatoes until Christmas at least.

Corn and potatoes take up a lot of space and are relatively cheap. I usually buy them at the farmer's market.

Try your cool weather crops in the fall. Many of them are far sweeter after a little nip of frost and are not killed until a hard freeze. Lots of years the spinach will over winter and provide early pickings in March.