Old 06-08-2014, 07:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Next year

Terry Coombs wrote:

The green beans get their own trellis or other support . I let them go
over onto the tomato cages because they were making the corn that was
supposed to support them fall over . This has adversely impacted the
sunlight to the tomatoes , and yields have suffered .

there are smaller versions of beans which don't
climb so much (or not at all).

Several other things I'll do different next year ... like not grow corn .
Mine sucks , and the yield/area isn't that great . Lettuces and spinach
will be in the ground before the snow if any melts , I'm tired of it
bolting as soon as it starts to produce . I pick lettuce , spinach , red
beet , bok choy as soon as the leaves are big enough to make a salad . Too
bad it all bolts before the tomatoes are ripe . Potatoes are still on
trial , we'll need to see what the yield is .

without an electric fence growing corn here is
often a waste of space. we don't eat a lot of it
at the moment and nobody here uses cornmeal a lot
either, so it isn't a high priority crop in
comparison to tomatoes or beans.

Right now , the list for next year is topped by strawberries worked hard
to get them established ! green beans Kentucky Wonder , I'm letting some
seed tomatoes variety not decided green onions we love 'em and a few
varieties of squash , including summer , zukes , acorn , and pumpkins .

each year can be so different from the last that
it is really tough to plan for the seasons exactly.
this sort of variation is why i plant multiple crops,
multiple varieties and in different types of soils
as i can find the space for them. each year i learn
more, something new, and figure out how to work a
little smarter (even if i'm not quite coordinated ).

songbird