Old 06-08-2014, 03:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Next year

songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

The green beans get their own trellis or other support . I let
them go over onto the tomato cages because they were making the corn
that was supposed to support them fall over . This has adversely
impacted the sunlight to the tomatoes , and yields have suffered .

there are smaller versions of beans which don't
climb so much (or not at all).

Several other things I'll do different next year ... like not
grow corn . Mine sucks , and the yield/area isn't that great .
Lettuces and spinach will be in the ground before the snow if any
melts , I'm tired of it bolting as soon as it starts to produce .
I pick lettuce , spinach , red beet , bok choy as soon as the leaves
are big enough to make a salad . Too bad it all bolts before the
tomatoes are ripe . Potatoes are still on trial , we'll need to
see what the yield is .

without an electric fence growing corn here is
often a waste of space. we don't eat a lot of it
at the moment and nobody here uses cornmeal a lot
either, so it isn't a high priority crop in
comparison to tomatoes or beans.

Right now , the list for next year is topped by strawberries
worked hard to get them established ! green beans Kentucky Wonder
, I'm letting some seed tomatoes variety not decided green
onions we love 'em and a few varieties of squash , including
summer , zukes , acorn , and pumpkins .

each year can be so different from the last that
it is really tough to plan for the seasons exactly.
this sort of variation is why i plant multiple crops,
multiple varieties and in different types of soils
as i can find the space for them. each year i learn
more, something new, and figure out how to work a
little smarter (even if i'm not quite coordinated ).

songbird

There is a learning curve ... I'm groping kinda in the dark , this area is
so different from everywhere else I've ever lived . This year was better
than last , and I'm figgerin' out what's good use of the space I have for
maximum reduction in cash outlay for food . Pole beans are an efficient use
of space , they go up and not out . Lettuce needs to be planted where it'll
be shaded most of the day , that's going to be difficult apparently too
much sun is why mine bolts so early . Hmmm , plant it on the east side of
the pole beans ... and near the top edge nearest the woods , that'll limit
the direct sun .
Zucchini , squashes , and cukes take space , but we like 'em and think it
worth it - and they'll go in a different part of the garden , this year I
had/have problems with fungus . Tomatoes and beans won't be near each other
again , I learned that lesson this year with the beans shading the tomatoes
.. Corn will not be on the list next year , mine sucks and we don't eat that
much - jury's still out on potatoes , but I suspect we may not grow them
next year unless I get a really good yield this year . Garlic and onions
will definitely be on the list , garlic is going in this fall . Tomatoes
will be separated a little more , the cages need a bit more room so I can
get between them . I'll be focused on max yields again , since we now have
room to store canned stuff - and all the equipment to do so .
--
Snag
And the strawberry patch will be allowed to double in size ... my original