Old 07-08-2014, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
indigo indigo is offline

Default Broad beans

On 07/08/2014 06:56, Peter James wrote:
Indigo wrote:

Our broad beans have done well this year, better than last, and I
realised the other day that there'd been no sign of any blackfly on them
this year.

I sowed the beans in spring but a bit late, if I remember correctly, so
is a clean crop down to luck with timing or has it been a fairly
blackfly-less year?

How strange. I experienced the same thing. A bit late in planting and
not one blackfly on the plants. The first year I've had that in over 50
years of gardening and growing broad beans.

Interesting. Could be that blackfly just aren't having a good time of it
this year, but since you've had the same experience I'll try and
remember to sow late again next year and see if I can repeat the results.

--
Sue