Old 08-08-2014, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default tal-ya

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

David B wrote:
"David Hill" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:

This looks like an interesting idea esp for those in the dryer parts
of the country.
http://www.tal-ya.com/

Yes, looks interesting although I can't see how it helps with
rainwater.
Irrigation certainly but not rainwater.

Probably by concentrating its flow to the base of the plant, so more
chance of penetrating deeper into the soil.

And then possibly helping to prevent evaporation?

Yes. A near-total waste of time for the UK, where a simple
depression is quite good enough. And, as David says, only for
irrigation (and fertilisation), not rain.

In countries with higher evaporation, it's different. But,
here, it's a rare day that will evaporate more than 1 mm of
water, so any useful rain will soak in before it evaporates.

That is exactly what we do on the allotment, make an earth channel along the
row of beans and tomatoes etc and rings around squashes and water into
those. It's just the way I was taught to garden here.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.