Old 11-08-2014, 11:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
Don Wiss Don Wiss is offline

Default Paleo diet cartoon

On Sun, 10 Aug 2014 22:13:27 -0700, Todd wrote:

rancher that is completely vertical. He grows then, slaughters
them, the whole nine yards. .... Oh, and
he hangs them too. The taste is extraordinary.

The coop buys whole cows from a few different farmers. The coop decides how
to price each cut. Different farmers vary the amount of fat in the ground
beef. The fattiest one is $6.23/lb.

No hanging.

I really would like to get some turkey and duck eggs.

You can get mail order completely pastured turkey from Slankers:
http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/

I believe my coop has duck eggs. I should try them?

Would
love to try some heritage pork too

I do list a couple places on http://paleofoodmall.com/

Slankers has had feral pork in the past. They haven't had any in a while.

1/3 lb of wild Java Crab ($6.74)

That is $20.22 / lb. Yikes! What is a "Java crab" anyway?
A nervous crab?

It keeps creeping up in price. Not long ago it was $18/lb can. Must be kept
refrigerated. Java is the country where it is wild caught. It tastes a lot
like lobster. It is distributed by a local company. It does not appear on
the web.

I think for the next batch (I buy for three meals at a time), I will use
Wild Planet Foods' Wild Albacore Tuna No Salt for variety.

I do not use salt at all in my cooking. I can now taste the salt in meat. I
can no longer eat smoked fish. It is horribly salty. The salt lingers and I
want to rinse out my mouth. Our ancestors did not have salt shakers.

There is ample salt in meat and seafood. We all know that vegans have to
supplement their diet with B-12. What people also don't realize is vegans
have to supplement with salt. Since salt is so ubiquitous in modern
cooking, we don't think of it as supplementing, but a vegan cannot toss the
salt shaker.

I have been eating a lot of purslane salads which grow
where ever I walk in my back yard. Free food!

There usually is lots of wood sorrel growing around here.

The
major expense when I am done making a salad is the
organic mayo

You can make homemade mayo with olive oil.

But you do have to get creative to keep the cost down.

I don't worry about keeping costs down.

And don't obsess on being a perfectionist. And remember
that variety is very important, but I think I am preaching
to the choir.

Variety is important. I don't practice this as much as I should. Most
people eat only a few different meats. Our ancestors ate whatever they
could catch or trap. It would have been a great variety of animals. And
they foraged for hundreds of different plants.

I have mail ordered conch, turtle meat and frozen baby clams from Wholey. I
wanted to buy the alligator meat, but the alligators are fed grains.

Have you heard about coffee fruit flour? It is the fruit
of the bean, virtually no caffeine, and low carb. Typically,
it gets fed to livestock.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...an-eat/360149/

No, I have not. It could be interesting. First, coffee is not a "bean."
Coffee is the seed of a fruit. Fruit seeds are not supposed to be digested.
They evolved to pass through an animal's digestive track and still be
viable at the other end. Fruit seeds should never be human food. (And this
includes cocoa.)

Berries have thorns to keep animals away. Animals would digest the seeds.
Berry bushes want their berries to be eaten by birds, which don't digest
the seeds.

The coffee flour is simply ground fruit. There is a paleo argument that
fruit should limited. In the past fruit would have been seasonal (though
different fruits at different times of the year), and the fruits were much
less voluptuous and less sweet than they are these days.