Old 11-08-2014, 03:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Racoons in sweet corn - how to NOT

Not@home said:
wrote:
What are some ways to keep racoons out of my ripening sweet
corn? I don't have enough plants to
share beyond the ears they have already destroyed!@!

The only thing that has worked for me is an electrified fence.

Fence with charger, or a *tall* fence with loose, floppy wire at the top
and bottom.

Planting corn by the square foot method in 4' blocks, you can make a
temporary, movable fence 4' panels made with 8' lengths of 2x2 that
have chicken wire stapled to them. Let about 18'' of chicken wire
extend past the ends of the 2x2s.

Set some small stakes at the corners of the corn block, tie the panels
together with the loose wire curving out. Roll the panels up and
store them out of the weather when not in use.

This method (with sufficient numbers of panels) can also protect
peach trees from 4-footed varmints.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."