Old 12-08-2014, 04:26 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Coping with sod?

On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 10:31:52 AM UTC-4, Bert wrote:
In Moe DeLoughan

wrote:

... The best

thing you can do is not let it dry out.

Thanks for the info. I'm watering twice a day right now, and I think the

city is still coming by from time to time, so it's probably getting more

than your suggested 1" a week right now.

The 1" a week guideline is for *established lawns* and average conditions,
not summer high heat/sun. New sod is going to need more.

Other than sending a lot of

that water down the newly refurbished sewer system, I don't think I'm

doing any harm, and looking at the state of the sod on some of the

neighbors' yards, I think I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

Sounds right. There is some potential harm to over watering though.
If you keep turf constantly wet, especially overnight, it creates
an ideal environment for fungus and disease. So, ideally you should
water an established lawn in the early AM hours, starting whatever
time allows for it to be watered and done by 6AM or so. Even with new
sod, I'd avoid watering at like 8PM, when it would stay real wet all
night.