Old 14-08-2014, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stephen Wolstenholme[_5_] Stephen Wolstenholme[_5_] is offline

Default Garden Lighting

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 12:27:01 +0100, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
. ..
I am toying with the idea of installing some decorative lighting
in my small garden.

To be worthwhile, I am not considering solar-powered devices, and
imagine that a low voltage distribution system would be the way
to go.

I'm aware that this is as long as a piece of string, but wonder
if anyone has any experience of particularly good value
equipment, or kit with which they have been particularly pleased
or disappointed.

It will depend in part whether the lighting is just to look pretty or do any
illumination?

The very cheap solar lights I find have poor batteries which normally fail
after a short time, and low power lights look very pretty around the pond or
such but actually produce nearly zero light for illuminating steps say.

I want to light the trees and shrubs, but don't need access
lights.

Chris

I have two trees with hidden strings of solar powered led lights. They
are the very cheap ones from my local £1 shop which are said to only
last a year or two but one of the sets is in it's third year now. My
complaints are that the wire is difficult to hide totally and they
only light for about three hours of darkness. I also have a set of ten
wireless solar powered lights that could be hidden in the trees with a
bit of creative positioning. The batteries only last for a year or two
but they are less expensive to buy the whole set of lights than their
replacement batteries. It can't last!

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com