Old 14-08-2014, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Kew Gardens - Radio 4 - Tree Roots

On 2014-08-14 12:18:14 +0000, Jeff Layman said:
snip
Eucalyptus are usually regarded as fairly shallow-rooted species, but
some species go very deep in search of water (see figs 2 and 3):
http://www.hermonslade.org.au/projec.../hsf_11_1.html

I remember seeing large numbers of Eucs in Turkey, planted specifically
to soak up water. It was a long time ago and if I ever knew the type,
I've forgotten it. I do remember being intrigued as I'd always thought
Eucalyptus were trees that needed a little water, so using them as
sponges was a new idea to me.

Salt-tolerant eucalypts are also used to lower the water table in areas
where there is a high salt level. This can allow salt-intolerant plants
to grow in areas of low rainfall - it's the salt which kills these
plants, not the often drought-like conditions.

--

Jeff