Old 15-08-2014, 08:31 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default Garden Lighting

Sacha wrote:

I have never seen the
virtue in lighting up bits of the garden unless people are walking up a
path which might lead them to fall into a pond or other hazard! You
can see the garden in daylight, as nature intended, surely? Why do you
need to see it at night, too when it belongs to other creatures? I'm
speaking very generally, of course but truly, I see no joy in lighting
a tree here or a shrub there. To me it's so unnatural that it's
unattractive. Personal choice, as always, of course.

Well, I have the good fortune to be retired, and can spend as
much time looking at the garden as I wish.

My partner still works. For much of the year, by the time we sit
down to eat, with patio doors overlooking the garden, it is dark
outside. This being the case, she only sees the garden in
daylight at weekends.

It occurred to me that it might be pleasant to install a few
discreetly located lights so that the evening prospect was a
little more interesting.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK