Old 15-08-2014, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Figs!!!!

On Sunday, August 3, 2014 9:15:00 PM UTC-7, David E. Ross wrote:
On 8/3/2014 7:50 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Few months ago, bought some plants inexpensively from a man who was selling them off his back lot. Big, fat cactus, few other plants -- and a baby 3' fig tree that I bought just for its attractive foliage & potted up.

Well!!! Baby started making figs from the get-go. Was I surprised & thrilled!

Have harvested 2 dead-ripe figs already (indescribable taste) with more waiting in line.

Now why can't my apricot & plum, which are now 4 years in the ground, do likewise?

HB

Once you eat a fresh fig, you will never again touch a dried or canned

fig. My neighbor across the street has a fig tree. He showed me how to

unlock his side gate and told me to bring my own ladder and pail. He

also said not to bother him by ringing his doorbell, that I should just

go in and pick as many as I want.

Ripe mission figs are dark purple and very sweet. Ripe kadota figs are

pale yellow and not so sweet but still flavorful.

David

The little fig is bearing lots of fruit, but (after the first two ambrosiac figs) they remain small and fall off. Also plant is losing leaves.

It's only early August. I realize the Mission Black Fig is deciduous, but in our more or less mutual climate, is this normal?

TIA

HB