Old 15-08-2014, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Garden Lighting

On 2014-08-15 10:47:40 +0000, David Hill said:

On 15/08/2014 11:20, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 09:43:38 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 09:29:19 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 23:15:11 +0100 (BST), (Nick
Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Martin wrote:

In the 1970s before Singapore was totally modernised. I ate in an open air
restaurant set in a garden of fan palms illuminated by tiny paraffin lights. It
was magic. I want back a few years later and the garden had been
replaced by yet
another hotel.

When I were a lad, the sole illumination at night was either hurricane
or Tilley lamps - both using paraffin, of course.

When I was a lad too, and water had to be hand pumped from a well.

When I was a lad I helped to dig the well!

LOL

In my formative years most of our water was rainwater collected either
in a very large galvanised corrugated rainwater but; probably about 500
gallons; or from firstly a hand pump from a well and latterly from a
bore hole.
In the late 40's and early 50's we lived towards the extremities of the
Llyn peninsular; North Wales; there we had a rain water but and a hand
pump outside my bedroom window at the side of the lane which was shared
with the house next door.
when we moved to outside Hastings we had a large underground tank under
the garage which held all our rainwater and we also had a bore hole
which pumped water into the same tank, this was then pumped into a tank
in the roof, either by an electric pump, or if that wasn't working then
by hand.
I hate to think what Health and safety would make of it today, but it
did us no harm.
David @ a sunny side of Swansea Bay

My aunt still has a reservoir under her lawn in Jersey. Water is
delivered by tanker and comes into the house through a filter. Neither
she nor any of her neighbours wants mains water because they think it
would bring building in their quiet area! In 3 houses in the CIs we had
only borehole water. Only in my last house there did I have mains water.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com