Old 16-08-2014, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Hydroleca

On 16/08/2014 12:31, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 16/08/2014 12:18, Spider wrote:
I have been wondering about using Hydroleca as a substitute for aquatic
compost when potting up pond plants. There's probably a very good reason
why I've never heard of it being done, despite its being used for
hydroponics. Perhaps it's too light? I'd be interested in other
urglers' opinions/experience.

Well, it's no more a substitute for compost as stones would be for soil.
Basically it;'s a nutrient-free porous artificial rock. But I guess
that if your pond water has sufficient nutrients, the plants would
extract what they need from the water.

But then, they could equally extract the nutrients if they were just
held in place by stones or gravel. And those, of course, would be a lot
cheaper than hydroleca...

Very sensible observations. Plant nutrients might well come from the
few fish I have, but if gravel/stones will do the job, I could try that.
Thanks.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London