Old 17-08-2014, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Hydroleca

On 16/08/2014 22:39, Spider wrote:
On 16/08/2014 12:39, stuart noble wrote:
On 16/08/2014 12:18, Spider wrote:
I have been wondering about using Hydroleca as a substitute for aquatic
compost when potting up pond plants. There's probably a very good reason
why I've never heard of it being done, despite its being used for
hydroponics. Perhaps it's too light? I'd be interested in other
urglers' opinions/experience.

I imagine it has similar properties to vermiculite and perlite. Yes,
very light when dry, BUT extremely heavy when wet. They recommend it for
roof gardens, which doesn't make much sense.

Yes, I can see that it might be like vermiculite/perlite, except they'd
be really hopeless in a pond. I think I will experiment with gravel
first and see if that will suffice.

I had some idea that Hydroleca would be less muddy in a pond than the
proper compost, and be more widely available. I don't often see aquatic
compost for sale, so was looking for a substitute.

Thanks for your input.

I seem to remember in my "Youth" we cut old turf about 2 inches thick
and wrapped that around a house brick, grass innermost. and planted
water lilies into that.
If you are going to use garden soil then think of mixing it with some
stones and putting it all into an old sprout or cabbage net.
The net will stop the fish ploughing up the soil, and wont rot.
As for your worry about poultry manure, remember there are many water
birds such as ducks, morehens etc that don't get out of the water to
relieve themselves.
David @ a now sunny side of Swansea Bay