Old 18-08-2014, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
thescullster thescullster is offline

Default Rust

Hi all

My broadbeans have been hit by rust in the last month.
Fortunately, the crop is almost over and doesn't seem to have been affected.

Last year I had problems with garlic rust which passed to a number of
onions.

I removed all the offending garlic and onions and didn't compost these.

The recommendation I read was to not grow onions/garlic again in the
same spot the year after - one reason for putting broad beans there.

The questions:

Is it likely that the rust on the broad beans has come from the ground
and this is infected? Or is this simply a fresh outbreak?
Can the ground be treated if it is a carry over from last year?

Thanks

Phil