Old 18-08-2014, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Hydroleca

On 18/08/2014 16:06, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 14:42:45 +0100, Spider wrote:

I'm suddenly very interested in Iris laevigata! I must have a good
Google and see what's available. I do have Iris sibirica, but I can't
grow that in permanently wet soil, or the pond, but they are lovely.

Why not I. sibirica, may I ask? Although I read it's not for wet
conditions, I grow it in a basket in the pond, partially submerged. It
does well enough. Maybe we have milder winters down here than some.

QWell, I thought I *could* have I. sibirica in a rather soggy bog
garden, but have just read that it doesn't like permanently wet roots,
which is a shame because that's where I have just moved mine to. I
would love to find that I don't have to dig it up and move it again.
I'm sure you do have milder winters than us. Although we're in London
and you might expect a mildish micro-climate, we are on high ground and
a bit exposed on one side. I do have a division from both my I.
sibiricas ('Tropic Night' and 'Sparkling Rose'), so I suppose I could
risk leaving the parent plants a bit longer and see how they cope. Last
year, I did put a raised glass lid over that part of the raised bog bed,
because I was worried that my Primula helodoxa might not make it through
the winter without protection, so I could try that again this year.

You might also look out for I. ensata, aka I. kaempferi, big broad
falls like large tongues. Purples, blues and whites. Lots of stripes
and colour variations.

National collection of water irises he
http://www.rowdengardens.com/index.php
browse and enjoy!

Ooooh! This is getting more and more exciting. Thanks so much for that
link. I shall explore it at length. I've already seen one I'm in love
with:~)) Thanks, Chris.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London