Old 19-08-2014, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Knotweed running under drive/patio

In article ,
Vir Campestris wrote:
Since you claim that you know of such locations, would you care to
inform us of exactly where?

There are large areas of it in the woods around where I used to live, in
Bracknell. "Rhoddy bashing" is a common volunteer task.

That's about 100 miles from any west coast.

Yes, but how harmful is it, really, in that location? The Rhoddy
bashing could be because people claim that it is harmful, rather
than because it actually is.

The point is that we have many species that establish local
dominance, but that is not an ecological problem. What is the
problem is when they start eliminating whole ecological niches.
Examples include brambles, bracken, gorse, sycamore, and a lot
more. Indeed, I remember when bracken was being demonised in
the same way that R. ponticum is today.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.