Old 20-08-2014, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] jmileman@googlemail.com is offline

Default Compost Heap

Our new house has quite a large lwan and the previous owners have just chucked the grass clippings into a corner. They're in a pile approx 2ft deep and over an area 10ft x 10ft and look to be fairly dry.

If I was to buy/make a wooden compost bin would I be able to use these or does the green material need to be fresh to compost ie will it have lost it's nutrient value by now. I understand that I'll need some browns to mix in as well but can get plenty of shredded paper from work, will this be suitable and if so what sort of mix ratio should I use.

Many Thanks

Jim