Old 20-08-2014, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Knotweed running under drive/patio

On 20/08/14 19:39, Malcolm wrote:

In article , Tim Watts
writes
On 20/08/14 13:57, Malcolm wrote:
Well, I know which I would rather have in terms of diversity. Willow,
blackthorn, gorse and brambles offer a great deal more diversity for
food, nests, shelter, etc., to birds, butterflies, bees, small mammals,
etc., than "a mass of R. ponticum"?

And the kids who might have played there are now nicking bits off your
car.

Well, maybe where you live, but not here. And do you really think that
today's kids would rather be out playing in a rhododendron thicket than
on their electronic devices?

There's plenty of diversity overall for the wildlife - one hilltop
won;t kill them.

A strange attitude, if I may say so. And one that I wouldn't like to see
adopted widely.

Not really - I was taking the stance that the human kids are also part
of the ecology. If the hilltop as was was interesting to them, then it
serves a good purpose.

As to the plating on their devices, well without the hilltop, they have
one less reason not to.

I'm all for responsible stewardship of the planet - but that includes it
benefiting humans.