Old 24-08-2014, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
David Farber David Farber is offline

Default Figs not ripening.

Derald wrote:
"David Farber" wrote:

Hi Bob,

Thanks for that info. I did not know that there had to be a wasp
involved in the process.
http://www.cloudbridge.org/wp-conten...eNotesNo19.pdf

Also, I think the shady area and thick canopy are not helping much.

You may find out more than you wanted to know about figs he

http://www.figweb.org/Figs_and_fig_wasps/index.htm

Be sure to read carefully the sections on the life cycle differences
between monoecious and dioecious figs.

If you have a dioecious variety of fig, you may find it necessary to
install a "male" tree to source the Capri figs that provide the wasps,
although, it may be possible to obtain just the Caprifigs at a local
"real" farmers' market. If you do find figs in a market, be sure that
insects actually are emerging before you buy. If you have a
monoecious variety of fig, aside from installing companion tree of
the same variety, you may pretty much be on your own, AFAIK.

Obviously, one applies no insecticides to fig trees ;-)

I'm not sure what variety of tree it is. The good news is that threes of the
figs ripened over the past several days. They were all on the same branch.
We think that it was because we trimmed the leaves from that branch months
ago as suggested by this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJckql2bOWc

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber