Old 24-08-2014, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default Phalenopsis orchid

In article , montebrasite4
@ntl.com says...
"Spider" wrote in message ...

Buds can abort if the plant is turned to face a different direction. They
are unable to turn with the stem, so drop off. This is why orchids are
invariably bought with flowers open. Drought and dryness can also have the
same effect.

That is interesting. I've got a phal that is just about to
flower. When the flower shoot started to grow, I moved it from
a cold north facing bedroom window, to the soth facing dining
room, at the opposite side from the window, so it did not get
direct sunlight. As the flower shoot grew, it developed a
distinct bend, which I tried to correct by clipping it to the
support. Worked after a fashion, but the top 2" is determinedly
horizontal. I also kept turning the pot, but that did not help
at all. Buds are now swelling, bottom 2 are about 50mm big, so
I wont be touch it again, except to take it into the sink when
it needs watering.

Out of interest, I did repot this one about 18 months ago as it
was becoming top heavy and the pot would fall over if not
supported. Re-potted, into the same pot, in an almost upright
position, which it maintained for about 9 months befor begining
to tilt again.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales