Old 24-08-2014, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Phalenopsis orchid

On 24/08/2014 20:29, Bertie Doe wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message ...
On 23/08/2014 23:44, Bertie Doe wrote:

Don't want to turn them around, as you say, for fear of buds and flower
loss.

Once out of the bud stage, I turn mine very, very gradually, but only
if I feel they really need it. If you try this, make sure yours are
well-watered to lessen the chance of flower loss. I've never lost
flowers this way yet, but I am very cautious. Of course, you can
always wait until the flowers are over and then turn it round to
balance up the growth. If yours are very lop-sided, you may have to
be patient and wait until they're ready to be potted on, then simply
set them as upright as you can *without breaking roots*.

My 2 plants are 4 and 5 years old. Hadn't thought about re-potting.

The planting medium looks like forest bark, is this correct?

Mmm .. maybe it's time you thought about repotting, then. The planting
medium must be well-drained and, yes, it does look like the forest bark
one mulches borders with. However, I use a proprietory orchid compost
which has a high bark content. I also use clear plastic pots. Although
many believe this isn't essential, it does mean the roots get some
sunlight (they can photosynthesise) and it is also clearer when the
plant needs repotting.

It is arguably better to pot on in Spring but, if a plant really needs
potting up, I believe it is better and kinder to pot up when needed.
I've never had a problem with an out-of-season potting up. Indeed, it
won't be long before I'll need to pot up about 10 of mine.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London