Old 24-08-2014, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Phalenopsis orchid

"Spider" wrote in message ...

On 24/08/2014 20:29, Bertie Doe wrote:

My 2 plants are 4 and 5 years old. Hadn't thought about re-potting.

The planting medium looks like forest bark, is this correct?

Mmm .. maybe it's time you thought about repotting, then. The planting
medium must be well-drained and, yes, it does look like the forest bark one
mulches borders with. However, I use a proprietory orchid compost which
has a high bark content. I also use clear plastic pots. Although many
believe this isn't essential, it does mean the roots get some sunlight
(they can photosynthesise) and it is also clearer when the plant needs
repotting.

It is arguably better to pot on in Spring but, if a plant really needs
potting up, I believe it is better and kinder to pot up when needed. I've
never had a problem with an out-of-season potting up. Indeed, it won't be
long before I'll need to pot up about 10 of mine.

Thx didn't realise there was a special compost. I'll pick up some orchid
feed at the same time.